Public Liability Insurance

Image provided by Oliver McGuirk from his short film, Joke.
Oliver is a Performance Film and Media Client.

Get a Quote

Public Liability Insurance provides cover for you against your legal liability to pay compensation and the costs and expenses.

This includes:

  • accidental third party injury
  • accidental damage to third party property
  • accidental obstruction, trespass, nuisance or interference with any right of way, air, light or water arising in connection with your business.

Along with the above, our policies provide Public Liability Insurance on a worldwide basis automatically, so you don’t need to worry about extending your cover when you’re travelling and can relax knowing it’s already sorted.

There are multiple reasons why you may need this cover. To give you an idea we’ve provided a few examples below, but if you have any questions we’re more than happy to discuss this with you so you know exactly what would be covered.

Within the Film and Media Industry, it’s commonplace that when carrying out a shoot in locations other than your own premises you will be requested to have Public Liability insurance. This is to ensure the owners of the premises are comfortable in knowing should their property get damaged, you’ll be able to pay for the damage.

Alongside the above, depending on the shoot and where this may be taking place, you might also be required to have Public Liability by a local authority in order to obtain a filming permit.

Most contracts will also require you to have this cover in place, this is particularly common even in the smallest of productions, and can also be a requirement in a hire agreement if you are hiring equipment.

Although this cover isn’t a legal requirement, we would always recommend having it in place to limit your exposure to potentially having a claim made against you and finding you are the one paying out.

Don’t be mistaken in thinking that only large companies would require this cover, unfortunately you don’t need to be a large company to be the one stuck with a large bill! We would recommend this cover for anybody carrying out work where any third parties may be involved, including anywhere that third party property may also be at risk of damage.

The different limits available are, £2 million, £3 million, £5 million and £10 million and can be adjusted throughout the year to ensure your cover continues to meet your demands and needs.

The Limit of Indemnity is the maximum amount in which your insurer will pay should a claim arise. This can be arranged on an Any One Claim basis which means the limit would apply to each and every claim you have during the insured period.

Alternatively, this can be arranged on an ‘In the Aggregate’ basis which would mean the maximum limit would apply for the full year, meaning each claim during the year would need to total less than your maximum limit in order to be covered.

Here at Performance, our Public Liability cover is arranged on an ‘Any One Claim’ basis to ensure you’re getting the most from your cover to ensure you can continue doing what you do best, as quickly as possible.

Ready to get a quote?

Short Period insurance is available for you to get online, 24/7. Alternatively, if you’re looking for an Annual insurance solution do send us an enquiry and we’ll get back to you within one working day.

News & Views

Can't find what you need?

Get in touch with our specialist team.

020 8256 4932
Cover not due yet?

Let us know when the time is right to contact you.