Media Insurance

Image provided by Joanns Buncelmans from the short film, The Crash. Joanns is a Performance Film and Media Client.

Get a Quote

Performance Film & Media is able to provide comprehensive insurance cover to the film and media industry. We have placed cover for a variety of different businesses in digital media, consultancy and publishing, all for the creative industry.

Performance Film & Media has worked in the media industry for over 25 years, and over those years we’ve accumulated a wealth of knowledge about the insurance needs of these professions and have taken the time to find solutions to problems like post-production insurance.

Our policies are designed to be bespoke to your needs to ensure that you and your business are protected in the event of a claim. Take a look at what Performance Film & Media Insurance can offer you.

What are the benefits when choosing Performance as your media insurance broker? Let’s take a look.

First and foremost, Performance can provide you with industry-specific insurance, with a team of industry experts ready to help you find the right policy for your business, including media companies, advertising agencies, marketing agencies, and more.

Performance will always try and offer you the best media insurance policies available in the market. We will work with you to make sure you get everything you need, giving you a media insurance policy completely bespoke to you which will include specialist media features.

This ultimately means that you get a media insurance policy completely tailored to your own individual needs, with specialist media features.

What can be covered under a Film & Media Insurance policy?

Performance offers media liability insurance to ensure that your production is protected from pre-production to post, with a wide range of insurance policy coverage suited to your film’s needs to avoid any nasty legal costs. Our media liability insurance covers (but is not limited to):

Hired-in Equipment insurance

Hired-in Equipment (or “Plant Hire”) insurance will indemnify you for the risks of repair or replacement of equipment that is hired, leased to or borrowed by you and it is your responsibility to insure the equipment

Public Liability insurance

Public Liability insurance protects you against claims for property damage, injury or bodily harm to a third party due to an accident you cause, and legal liability for damages, costs and expenses should your business activities cause obstruction.

Employers’ Liability insurance

Employers’ Liability insurance will protect you against claims from employees (including freelancers, temporary staff and volunteers) should they take legal action or submit a claim for compensation following an accident or illness sustained while working for you.

Professional Indemnity insurance

Professional Indemnity insurance will protect you against third party claims of unintentional intellectual property infringement and copyright infringement, unintentional breach of confidentiality agreements, professional negligence, defamation or libel, breach of duty or care and loss of documents or data.

Cyber Liability insurance

It’s easy to overlook Cyber Liability insurance in an era when everything seems to run on computers, but the risks posed by a potential cyber-attack are growing every day. The film and media industry, which is almost entirely computerised, faces unique risks.

Cyber insurance cover should be held by any business which: holds personal data (such as names, addresses, and banking information), electronically stores business-critical data, is reliant on technology to conduct business, has a website, has an online bank account or is subject to a payment card industry (PCI) merchant services agreement.

In addition to the above, we can also provide cover for Business Travel, Personal Accident, Owned Equipment, Office Contents, Buildings and more.


Do I need Public Liability Insurance?

Although not legally required, we would strongly recommend having this cover in place to protect you for potential costs and legal fees in the event of a third-party claim, for example, if you cause damage to a rented location or if a member of the public trips over your equipment.

You may also be requested to have Public Liability in place to rent a location, or to obtain a permit to film in a public area.

Do I need Employers' Liability insurance?

Employers’ Liability is a legal requirement in the UK for businesses with any employees (including freelancers, temporary staff and volunteers). The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) enforces the law on Employers’ Liability insurance and HSE inspectors can check that you have valid cover in place. For more information, see: Employers’ Liability (Compulsory Insurance) Act 1969: A guide for employers HSE40.

What is Multimedia Indemnity Insurance?

Multimedia cover (sometimes known as All Risks Negative) covers actual shot media should it be lost or damaged at any stage throughout production. This cover will pay for the cost to re-create the lost/damaged footage or reimburse the amount spent should the project be abandoned.

What is Post-Production Insurance?

Post-Production Indemnity covers additional expenditure occurred following the accidental loss, destruction or damage to multimedia property for which you are responsible once your project is in post-production.

How much cover do I need?

This will mostly depend on the size of the projects you undertake, number of employees and more. We can work with you to find the cover limits suited to your requirements.

Contact the team

If you’d like to find out more, please contact us. You can also follow us on social media: Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.

Ready to get a quote?

Short Period insurance is available for you to get online, 24/7. Alternatively, if you’re looking for an Annual insurance solution do send us an enquiry and we’ll be back to you within one working day.

News & Views

Can't find what you need?

Get in touch with our specialist team.

020 8256 4932
Cover not due yet?

Let us know when the time is right to contact you.