10 September 2021

Public Liability Insurance – What is it and do I need it?

By Michael Wood Head of Performance

Public Liability is one of the most common insurances that businesses and freelancers will be asked to have in place for the work they do. This type of cover will protect you against claims for accidental damage to third party property – for example, if you cause damage to a rented location – and accidental third party injury – for example, if a member of the public trips over your filming equipment!

Although not a legal requirement, you could be held responsible for the costs of these accidents should a claim be made against you. In addition, some locations will require you to have your own Public Liability in order to obtain a filming permit.

If you are based in the UK, then both our short-period and annual Public Liability policies will automatically cover you on a Worldwide basis, excluding locations the FCDO advises against travel to.

We offer various limits of cover – including £2m, £3m, £5m and £10m. Although these might sound extremely high at first, some locations (such as shopping centres and museums) will require you to have a minimum limit of £10m in place before allowing you to film there.

If you’d like to know more about our short-period or annual options, then please get in touch with the team!

Back to Behind the Scenes: Issue Four

Other features you may be interested in